Saturday, June 12, 2010

Meet the lovely DeedsandPetunia!

Hi everyone! I would like to introduce you all to the lovely Deedsand Petunia. 

Sarah Beth Smith
Tacoma, WA
Deeds and Petunia www.deedsandpetunia.etsy.com

Tell me a little bit about yourself:
I adore pretty old things and I love to create. When I recently closed my business providing childbirth education and doula support, I knew I had to follow a creative path in order to feel fulfilled. I have always wanted to own a brick and mortar retail shop selling antiques mixed with lovely handmade and specialty items. I have two small kids and a mortgage, so I figured now was probably not the right time. So my Etsy shop was born. Through Deeds and Petunia, I hope to sort out my signature style, make a little money and gain a customer base so that I might be able to open that brick and mortar store when the time is right.

I live in North Tacoma with my kids, husband and three naughty kitties.

Tell me a little bit about your shop:
My shop, Deeds and Petunia was named for the childhood nicknames of me and my sister. She was Deeds, I was Petunia. I sell vintage trims, notions, lovelies, craft kits, items I've made using vintage materials like skirts, bags, hats, aprons. Sometimes I make collages and assemblages. Much of what I'm attracted to is what reminds me of my childhood.

Apart from being a Puget sound etsian, what else do you do?
When I'm not working, I spend time with my kiddos. I also sing and play music in a band, and love to cook.

Tell me about your creative process:
My creative process starts with finding unique, beautiful and high quality vintage items. I hunt high and low for these items and have trained my eye to find that piece of lace trim hidden in the corner under a pile of blankets at the rummage sale. I love the hunt. Then it's just a matter of handling these items and getting to know their story, introducing them to other items, letting them mingle and see how they hit it off. Together, we make a new story. Something lovely and unique, old into new. Sometimes I put them up for sale to see if another crafter is ready to make a new story with them.

How do you promote your shop?
I promote my shop every way I can (www.deedsandpetunia.etsy.com!) I'm trying Google AdWords, listing with search engines, Facebook, Etsy groups and talking about my business to everyone I know. I'm also organizing the Tacoma Etsy Craft Party on June 18th (from 3-6 PM at Hello, Cupcake!) to try to connect with local businesses, customers, and other Etsy crafters and artisans in a non-competitive environment. I try to list something new every day, keep up my blog and analyze my shop constantly.

Any advice for someone new to etsy?
Read, read, read. Etsy has a wealth of information and resources for new sellers! I'm still learning what to do, but feel like my shop has vastly improved since the start a few months ago. Connect with other sellers. Tell everyone about what you're doing.

Two items in your shop you would like me to showcase on the blog/facebook page:
{vintage sampler kit trims, buttons and scraps found here}

{Giddy up Girls Ruffle Skirt found here}


Anything else you would like to share?
I hope to get to know other artists and crafters in the area and find ways to help each other create a supportive local network. Nice to meet you!


*******************************************************************
As always, if you are interested in being featured, send me your answers :) 

Have a wonderful weekend dears!

2 comments: